Do we fear the truth?

To what extend did Truman fear the truth about the real world? Was the more outside rather than in the world he knew? Ultimately the truth is really hard to get at, what happens when people talk about something that is considered a taboo subject or something people don’t really want to talk about.

Bjorn Lomborg has gained a reputation as the ‘Skeptical Environmentalist’.  Listen to what he has to say about climate change. Many people disagree with what he is saying, others agree but seem to miss his point that something still needs to be done. What do you think of what he has to say?

1. Is there sometimes a fear that we will hear or find out things that we don’t really want to know?
  2. How does that reflect on us?

One thought on “Do we fear the truth?

1. In Truman’s case, I would say that he did to some extent fear the truth of his world and the outside world. However, once he picked up on all the flaws that kept on occurring in his world, Truman realized that there was something that was wrong. As a result he got more curious and this curiosity sparked the suspicions about his world and the “real” outside world. The ultimate truth about the reoccurrence of Truman’s “father” is what forces him to face the fact that what he believes is reality isn’t genuine in existence. Consequently, Truman becomes desperate to try and find a way out of his living nightmare of a world. Truman was more afraid of the truth about his world because of the fact that he didn’t know what was actually happening, he essentially felt as if he was the victim. Ironically enough, Truman find his escape when he spots a flight of stairs labeled “EXIT” and gains his freedom when entering the real world.

Altogether, I would have to say that I somewhat agree with Bjorn Lomborg. I guess that in reality, there is no “grey area” or the “middle” about the concerns of the environment. Unfortunately for Lomborg, this is where he stands. I agree that actions should be taken to ensure environmental stability for future generations. Governments should put more concern and money toward planning and building different ways to maintain natural resources. These plans and actions should be long term and not just some way for the government to have publicity and show that they are taking action. However, the only thing that I don’t agree with Lomborg is how he talks about the small things that people do and how these actions aren’t “smart moves”. I strongly believe that the Kyoto protocol and the little things like recycling that people do every day do make a difference, even if it’s “just postposing climate change for seven days”.
    One of the biggest fears that will stand out the most in the next couple of generations is that the world is actually dying. Sooner or later, the human race will also start to diminish along with the plants and animals because there will be competition for resources, food and survival. Most of us already know this but don’t think about it too much because it either doesn’t directly affect us (we’ll be dead by the time it happens) or we are just afraid to face reality.