Little Pig, Little Pig, tell me your story.

In the last post I talked about the inability of some people to perceive something which almost everyone else can perceive and asked you to think about how that disability can significantly alter our approach to something. This week I stumbled across this fantastic video which, I think, tackles a story that many of us are familiar, but with a very interesting twist. Watch it, and then think about why you believed the story the first time, in what other parts of our world have you been told ‘fables’ without really doubting or thinking about them from the other side.

2 thoughts on “Little Pig, Little Pig, tell me your story.

1. I always believed that the “big bad wolf” was to blame. The reason that I believed the story the first time is because it seems very easy to believe that pigs were the victims. The three little pigs are stereotyped to be innocent and cute. It is very hard to believe that they would be capable of committing something like murder. On the other hand, we have the wolf who is stereotypically supposed to be aggressive and evil. As a result he is more susceptible to being the one who broke into the pig’s house to try and kill the pig. The wolf was commonly known in the story as the “big bad wolf”. This nickname already puts an image of an evil wolf in everyone’s head. However, the problem with my assumptions is that I have based my guesses on stereotypes. Stereotypes are just generalized assumptions on a person based on the common characteristics. The issue is that these stereotypes do not apply to each and every case. We do not know every little detail about a person and as a result it is very difficult to judge a person. For example, we have the revelation that the wolf had asthma. With this new piece of information people tend to feel sympathetic towards the wolf and suddenly blame the three little pigs.
    “Fables” can be found in our everyday lives as well. They can be found most commonly in the news and media. We hear people talking about issues and how they could have been prevented all the time. People always tend to look towards anyone in “authority” for truth. However, this is one of the worst places if you want to find the real, legitimate truth. People believe whatever they hear on the news without thinking or doubting the other side of the story. Even though there are news media companies out there who promise to bring the absolute truth, the government and other forms of regulations make sure that the news is tweaked so certain elements are purposely left out. Certain elements are taken out of the news so people only get the message that the government wants them to get without further questions or suspicions. We never really think about why things happen other than what we are told. There can also be a lot of different people that were involved in a situation who have different perspectives and different things to say. Considering what everyone has to say is essential when trying to uncover the whole truth and coming to a solid conclusion. Many of these things are left out in the news coverages which leave people to agree with the conclusion made by the media and not pose any questions or investigate further.

2. I first believed this story because that was all they told me. They did not show me any other sides, but just the one where the wolf was evil and the three little pigs were innocent. I think also the stereotypes, like Teresa pointed above, were a big part of why I believed the story. Of course here we are just talking about a fable but what happens when the same principle applies to real life?
    I am sure that many times all of us have believed what someone said because “they were the only ones who told us the story”. Most of us do not go on looking for the other side of the story, like with the news. How many of us just listen to the news and do not question it as much as we should? How many of us actually question it and then go research more about the topic so that we can argue that there is another side? I, for obvious reasons, cannot speak for everyone but at least from my point of view not many of us really question what people tell us. I mean, we might question it a little but in the end we never really do anything about it.
    It is because of this that stories like the one portrayed in the video above do not happen very frequently. This is why nowadays society is trying to teach the younger generations to ask questions and to doubt what people may say, but society also needs to learn how many questions is too much. When being aware that there are more sides to one story turns into paranoia? Because not all of the stories are very complicated, or not all of the stories need to be so. So even though we do have to learn to question we also have to learn to listen and agree.