What we were talking about?

On Wednesday I mentioned that there is currently some debate about whether or not some neutrinos seem to be able to travel faster than the speed of light. Yesterday a report appeared (which by the way seems to be changing as I write this post) regarding the tests that were being conducted at the CERN super-collider. Again the results seems to indicate that it might (emphasis on the might) be possible. Remembering our question: “How do we know that a given statement is true?” How will we become convinced that this is a possibility?

Here’s a video from when the report first came out, it’s interesting to see the reaction of the scientists to their findings.

2 thoughts on “What we were talking about?

1. Generally speaking, I think human beings only tend to believe a statement to be true when proven by scientific means or seen by the physical eye. However, it should be also opinion based. Dependent on what satisfies us to be true, that is what we would deem conceivable and possible. Taking into consideration an aspect of religion, how can one ascertain to the other, the existence of a higher governing force? Hazarding an opinion in this case only arises verbal conflict. We tend to clutch enthusiastically to whatever suits our being. For the fact that a neutrino travels faster than the speed of light may be a mere fallacy to a certain group of people however, may be astounding to another group. The latter being mostly scientists. Driving this home, I guess it is based on our thoughts as to what we conceive as true. Except of course, the overly obvious; Strangulation leads to asphyxiation.

2. I find it hard to wrap my head around about how scientists can measure something that is faster than the speed of light. For me, learning about technology, that can detect how quick sub-atomic particles, exists is quite awe-inspiring.
    Society has such a monumental impact in shaping a person’s beliefs. I believe that it’s the environment and experiences a person has had that influences their thinking. Typically, children are more open to learning new concepts since they do not have much experience and are eager to absorb the world around them. On the other end, most adults are firmly rooted in the values and feel confident that their knowledge backs up their beliefs. Generally, what society accepts as true is the truth to a majority of the people. For this to occur, we mainly look up to credited scientists and researchers who can prove their theories through concrete evidence of data and observations. People tend to believe what is provable through their five senses and supported by society.